ElectriciansBoards.co.uk uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo
- - - - -

AllenWest DC crane control

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DeanB

DeanB

EB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSth Wales
  • Skill Areas:Industrial
  • Training:Completed Apprenticeship, Fully Qualified

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi guys, wondering if anyone has come across a situation where a differential relay is connected across the incoming DC supply to a crane which is then controlling a contactor pulling in whats labelled as "BALLAST" resistors? they dont appear on any drawings available for the crane and AllenWest dont have any info on the installation itself so cant help. The fuses have been pulled so it is not in circuit.

The reason I ask is that we have just fitted a DC to AC inverter but this blew up due to regen from the system of up to 1100V. Is this device related?

Photo of the offending item is attached.

Attached Files

#2 OFFLINE   RBURNS Re: AllenWest DC crane control

RBURNS

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationCambridge
  • Skill Areas:Domestic, Machinery, Hazardous Area, Inspection & Testing
  • Training:Short Course
  • Scheme Affiliation:Elecsa

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Out of my area, but there is this thread that contains some allen west control information that may be of help.

Well yes, the real world is OK.. But I wouldn't want to have to live there!

#3 OFFLINE   Tony Re: AllenWest DC crane control

Tony

EB Staff.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,826 posts
  • LocationUnder the Major Oak
  • Skill Areas:Industrial, Control & Automation, Machinery, Hazardous Area, Teaching
  • Professional Registrations:MIET

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

The resistors are for regenerative reverse voltage limiting. Lowering a load the hoist motor is generating, without the resistors you have no voltage control. The fuses must be reinstated.

The system I worked on had two cranes on the same supply. If one crane was generating the other would absorb the current. If both were lowering then the regenerative power was adsorbed in to the general plant. The main switch board had 150KW loading resistors to dissipate the unwanted power, switched in by a reverse power relay.

To be honest an inverter on a crane system isn’t going to fair well. As you’ve found the voltage is unstable. I’m sorry but it’s the nature of the beast.

Allen West are very helpful, but they only have drawings going back 15 years.

I’m guilty! Whatever it was, I did it!
I really must start taking my anti-paranoia pills.

Please support the Fatally Flawed campaign.

You will take your knowledge to the grave, in the meantime give it freely.

√((T+Pm)²) = Chaos

Chaos: Physics, the property of a complex system whose behaviour is so unpredictable as to appear random, owing to great sensitivity to small changes in conditions.

#4 OFFLINE   Tony Re: AllenWest DC crane control

Tony

EB Staff.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,826 posts
  • LocationUnder the Major Oak
  • Skill Areas:Industrial, Control & Automation, Machinery, Hazardous Area, Teaching
  • Professional Registrations:MIET

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

I don’t know if this would work, a reverse bias diode fitted to the resistors may control the voltage better. It’s one of them you just have to try.

I’m guilty! Whatever it was, I did it!
I really must start taking my anti-paranoia pills.

Please support the Fatally Flawed campaign.

You will take your knowledge to the grave, in the meantime give it freely.

√((T+Pm)²) = Chaos

Chaos: Physics, the property of a complex system whose behaviour is so unpredictable as to appear random, owing to great sensitivity to small changes in conditions.