ElectriciansBoards.co.uk uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo
- - - - -

Volt stick lighting up at gas meter

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oldtimer

oldtimer

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh
  • Skill Areas:Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Control & Automation, Alarms, Inspection & Testing
  • Training:Completed Apprenticeship, Fully Qualified

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Guys was called out last week to a 2nd floor flat British Gas was to have moved the gas meter but refused because the fitter checked the gas meter pipework with a volt stick and it lit up. He added that it could be nothing but he could go no further until it was checked out .

Had a look it was a split CU one side RCD and non RCC

Supply was a TNCS (Ze=0.06)

Gas pipe bonded with a 10mm

Water pipe bonded by a 10mm

I checked this out and measured for voltage at the meter via a separate earth and nothing and yep volt stick lit up I eventually tracked the problem down to the central heating boiler but went no further as it is under a maintenance contract .

So I take it this can be common on a TNCS or PME supply in a flat ? Anybody had this and what checks do you do ie amp probe the gas pipework and any faults that you have found causing this

Don't have an ego to bruise always learning happy to help but don't tolerate fools gladly

Electrician Edinburgh