ElectriciansBoards.co.uk uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo
- - - - -

Volt stick lighting up at gas meter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oldtimer

oldtimer

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh
  • Skill Areas:Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Control & Automation, Alarms, Inspection & Testing
  • Training:Completed Apprenticeship, Fully Qualified

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Guys was called out last week to a 2nd floor flat British Gas was to have moved the gas meter but refused because the fitter checked the gas meter pipework with a volt stick and it lit up. He added that it could be nothing but he could go no further until it was checked out .

Had a look it was a split CU one side RCD and non RCC

Supply was a TNCS (Ze=0.06)

Gas pipe bonded with a 10mm

Water pipe bonded by a 10mm

I checked this out and measured for voltage at the meter via a separate earth and nothing and yep volt stick lit up I eventually tracked the problem down to the central heating boiler but went no further as it is under a maintenance contract .

So I take it this can be common on a TNCS or PME supply in a flat ? Anybody had this and what checks do you do ie amp probe the gas pipework and any faults that you have found causing this

Don't have an ego to bruise always learning happy to help but don't tolerate fools gladly

Electrician Edinburgh

#2 OFFLINE   Hertz a lot Re: Volt stick lighting up at gas meter

Hertz a lot

EB Member

• Tutors
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire
  • Skill Areas:Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Control & Automation, Machinery, Inspection & Testing, Teaching
  • Training:Completed Apprenticeship, Short Course, Fully Qualified
  • Professional Registrations:IOSH

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

If you have no potential between pipework and earth, then you have no problem. Voltsticks aren't and shouldn't be used for testing as you know. Voltsticks light up for all sorts of reasons, and should be ignored, a calibrated voltmeter is far better. The BG engineer needs some training by the sounds of it, or he should at least leave the electric to someone like yourself who knows what they are doing!

Cheers………..Howard

http://www.appris.co.uk Check our prices on emagster

#3 OFFLINE   MDJ Re: Volt stick lighting up at gas meter

MDJ

Our tame gorilla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • LocationGloucester, England
  • Skill Areas:Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Alarms, Inspection & Testing

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

Guys was called out last week to a 2nd floor flat British Gas was to have moved the gas meter but refused because the fitter checked the gas meter pipework with a volt stick and it lit up. He added that it could be nothing but he could go no further until it was checked out .

Had a look it was a split CU one side RCD and non RCC

Supply was a TNCS (Ze=0.06)

Gas pipe bonded with a 10mm

Water pipe bonded by a 10mm

I checked this out and measured for voltage at the meter via a separate earth and nothing and yep volt stick lit up I eventually tracked the problem down to the central heating boiler but went no further as it is under a maintenance contract .

So I take it this can be common on a TNCS or PME supply in a flat ? Anybody had this and what checks do you do ie amp probe the gas pipework and any faults that you have found causing this

Oh no, Oh dear, Gasp

Hello Mc'fly Hello, anyone in? Hello,Hello, are you awake Mc'Fly?

#4 OFFLINE   oldtimer Re: Volt stick lighting up at gas meter

oldtimer

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh
  • Skill Areas:Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Control & Automation, Alarms, Inspection & Testing

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Agreed and call me cynical but why all of a sudden are the meter guys doing this other to say Ahh Haa you have a major problem and I can get my company to look at it for you christ there was a bloody big 10mm earth cable bonded to the pipe.

Plus this is the first time I have heard of this so no doubt I can expect more and I want to be prepared.

I had a problem last year where a metal sink was "live" and tracked it down to the washing machine socket earth being adrift and the sink being bonded to the washing machine socket earth terminal with plastic supply pipes so once the earth was reconnected problem was solved

Don't have an ego to bruise always learning happy to help but don't tolerate fools gladly

Electrician Edinburgh

#5 OFFLINE   oldtimer Re: Volt stick lighting up at gas meter

oldtimer

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Oh no, Oh dear, Gasp

Care to comment 

Is this a new BG wheeze ? the reason I ask is I get called out about 7-10 times a year and its always O my god you have no earth only to find on all of one they do have an earth 

Electrician Edinburgh

#6 OFFLINE   MDJ Re: Volt stick lighting up at gas meter

MDJ

Our tame gorilla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • LocationGloucester, England
  • Skill Areas:Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Alarms, Inspection & Testing

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

comment about  using a volt stick? I had better not, tony or lenny may ban me. they should be thrown away, appalling items of equipment and only enthusiasts use them ;)

if you do use one then at least use 2 together lol

Hello Mc'fly Hello, anyone in? Hello,Hello, are you awake Mc'Fly?

#7 ONLINE   Tony Re: Volt stick lighting up at gas meter

Tony

EB Staff.

• Global Moderators
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationUnder the Major Oak
  • Skill Areas:Industrial, Control & Automation, Machinery, Hazardous Area, Teaching
  • Professional Registrations:MIET

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

I'll not ban you. The bloody things should be in the bin! I'll help any way I can to hurt GB

I’m guilty! Whatever it was, I did it!
I really must start taking my anti-paranoia pills.

Please support the Fatally Flawed campaign.

You will take your knowledge to the grave, in the meantime give it freely.

#8 ONLINE   Davethsparky Re: Volt stick lighting up at gas meter

Davethsparky

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationSurrey
  • Skill Areas:Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Agricultural, Inspection & Testing
  • Scheme Affiliation:Elecsa

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

There's nothing wrong with volt- sticks as long as you remember the golden rule-

If it lights up red it's probably live and if it doesn't light up its probably live.