ElectriciansBoards.co.uk uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo
- - - - -

revision papers

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sparky_ben

sparky_ben

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationTyne and Wear
  • Skill Areas:Domestic, Commercial
  • Training:Completed Apprenticeship

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Hi as you know I did my 2394 exam last June or July I forgot when it was now, and I'm still awaiting my certificate I've tried contacting the training centre but have not yet heard back,
Just wanting to see if others have received them?

Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   Hertz a lot Re: revision papers

Hertz a lot

EB Member

• Tutors
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationLeeds, West Yorkshire
  • Skill Areas:Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Control & Automation, Machinery, Inspection & Testing, Teaching
  • Training:Completed Apprenticeship, Short Course, Fully Qualified
  • Professional Registrations:IOSH

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

You should have received it within 6 to 8 weeks, or if you failed, you should have been told. Chase this up with the place that you did the exam, and make sure that they have uploaded your practical assessment results. I assume you have passed the online test.

C&G will only issue the cert, once all the boxes are ticked, and usually the written is the last part. But whatever has gone on, you need to get to the bottom of it. If you have passed the written and on line, then C&G will be waiting for the training company to upload your practical results, but they won't chase them for it.

Cheers…………Howard

Edited by Hertz a lot, 23 February 2014 - 07:12 PM.

http://www.appris.co.uk Check our prices on emagster

#3 OFFLINE   sparky_ben Re: revision papers

sparky_ben

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationTyne and Wear

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Thanks I will chase it more, I've tried several times and even speaking with them too. I'll try again yeah I did pass I received the written confirmation of all parts just no cert

#4 OFFLINE   sparky_ben Re: revision papers

sparky_ben

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationTyne and Wear

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Well how was that for timing, I got an email from them today saying it had finally arrived, they have been having issues with c&g

#5 OFFLINE   spillane35 Re: revision papers

spillane35

EB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Hi all im looking to start my 2394/5 but would like some revision papers if possible i have on site guide, gn3 and my bs 7671 

thanks rob.

email me at raspillane@yahoo.co.uk

#6 OFFLINE   spillane35 Re: revision papers

spillane35

EB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

Hi sparky_ben,

would you be able to pass on some of your revision papers if possible, hopefully you get my email this time as i could not forward it to you for some reason. raspillane@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks again rob.

#7 OFFLINE   sparky_ben Re: revision papers

sparky_ben

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationTyne and Wear

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hi. All my revision material is in paper form, I'd have to scan everything in, very time consuming as well as then trying to blank out all the answers, someone may have an electronic copy on here however if not I'll see if I can try and help

#8 OFFLINE   spillane35 Re: revision papers

spillane35

EB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

ok i understand and thanks for getting back. congratulation on you results too.

regards rob.

#9 OFFLINE   Tony Re: revision papers

Tony

EB Staff.

• Global Moderators
  • 5,412 posts
  • LocationUnder the Major Oak
  • Skill Areas:Industrial, Control & Automation, Machinery, Hazardous Area, Teaching
  • Training:Completed Apprenticeship, Fully Qualified
  • Professional Registrations:MIET

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

Rob, we have several member that are tutors. They are the ones to ask.

As Ben said, he’ll help if he can and I thank him for that. If he’s using the revision papers himself then it make life a tad awkward for him.

I’m guilty! Whatever it was, I did it!
I really must start taking my anti-paranoia pills.

Please support the Fatally Flawed campaign.

You will take your knowledge to the grave, in the meantime give it freely.

#10 OFFLINE   sparky_ben Re: revision papers

sparky_ben

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationTyne and Wear

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

I am not currently needing to use papers as I have passed both parts but let's see if the tutors can help first as it will take me quite a while to sort out, but if not I'll do my best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 OFFLINE   Hertz a lot Re: revision papers

Hertz a lot

EB Member

• Tutors
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Skill Areas:Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Control & Automation, Machinery, Inspection & Testing, Teaching

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

Have a go at these then, 

2395 questions

Describe with the aid of a fully labelled diagram how to carry out a test on an earth electrode, after safe isolation has been carried out. (7 marks).

What must be obtained prior to carrying out isolation of a ring final circuit. (1 mark).

What action must be taken if you find a C1 defect during your walk round inspection? ( 2 marks).

And when should the action in the question above be done? (1 mark)

On completion of the Inspection and Test, what documents should be given to the client or person ordering the work? (3 marks)

State 4 methods which may be applied to prevent danger to members of the public whilst testing is being carried out (4 marks)

Describe in detail how you would conduct a test of an RCD which is there for additional protection, your answer must include the test current applied, and the maximum allowed trip times allowed. (6 marks)

What other test would be carried out on the RCD, and what is the purpose of that test? (2 marks)

What must be confirmed before an RCD test is carried out? (1 mark)

Explain how you determine by calculation, the PFC at the origin of a 3 phase 4 wire installation. Show all workings out (4 marks).

What is the title in law of the person in control of the installation.

State 3 things that are required to be confirmed with regard to an Insulation resistance test instrument other than current calibration or the test leads  (3 marks)

That lot should keep you head scratching for a while, and not all the answers are in GN3! Enjoy

Just for good measure heres another one not in GN3.

List 3 special locations from BS7671, where TNCS systems are not permitted in some part of it. (3 marks)

#12 OFFLINE   Hertz a lot Re: revision papers

Hertz a lot

EB Member

• Tutors
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

Forgot to add to last post. Answers tomorrow if i get the time, or the weekend if not, i will put up some 2394 questions on at the same time.

#13 OFFLINE   spillane35 Re: revision papers

spillane35

EB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Thanks, this a great help i really appreciate your time.

regards rob.

#14 OFFLINE   Hertz a lot Re: revision papers

Hertz a lot

EB Member

• Tutors
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Answers.

1. see page 49 GN3

2. permission to isolate

3. Recommend immediate rectification. Recommend immediate isolation of the defect.

4. immediately.

5. Electrical Installation condition report, schedule of inspection, schedule of test results.

6. Verbal warnings, notices, barriers. wardens.

7. Use a calibrated RCD tester, carry out a visual inspection of it, ensure leads are GS38 compliant. Test at 15mA at 0 and 180 degrees, should not trip. Test at 30mA at 0 and 180 degrees, should trip in 300mS or less, test at 150mA 0 and 180 degrees, should trip in no more than 40mS.

8. operate the test button, this confirms that the mechanical parts are functioning correctly.

9. Zs's meet the requirements of BS7671 current edition.

10. Uo/Ze x 2 = PFC for a three phase installation.

11. Duty Holder.

12. Visual condition, battery condition, correct function.

3 special locations that in part of it, cannot have a TNCS system: 1, Construction site. 2,Caravan park. 3, Marina. I think these are correct, and there are others, but can't be bothered to look. So check my answers before you quote me.

Cheers…………….Howard

#15 OFFLINE   Hertz a lot Re: revision papers

Hertz a lot

EB Member

• Tutors
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

2394 questions,

1. Define voltage drop (2 marks)

2. State the purpose of Initial Verification (3 marks)

3. State the action to be taken, when during a test you encounter an out of spec test result (3 marks)

4. Draw with a fully labelled diagram the fault loop path for a lighting circuit in a TNCS system (15 marks)

5. Whilst completing a Zs test of a 6a lighting circuit, the RCD keeps tripping, explain why this may be happening, and how you would overcome this problem. (2 marks).

6. List in the correct order the first three tests to be carried out to a 32a ring final circuit.(3 marks)

7. What must be ascertained prior to undertaking an Insulation resistance test. (1 mark)

8. Who specifies the date if the next inspection and test after initial verification (1 mark)

9. Explain which test method must be used and why to carry out a continuity test of a main protective bonding conductor connected to the water service pipe, where most of its length is concealed. (2 marks)

10. When conducting the test in 9 above, what would be the likely hazard? (1 mark)

11. On completion of the test in 9 above, what is the maximum allowed test result?

11. What is the correction factor for ambient temperature, to be applied to the maximum Zs values as tabulated in BS7671 (1 mark)

12. A BS60898 circuit breaker with an Icn of 10kA has been installed, what would be the likely consequence to the circuit breaker if it were to interrupt a fault of 8kA? (2 marks)

Answers over the weekend, they are all in GN3 i think!

Cheers………..Howard

#16 OFFLINE   spillane35 Re: revision papers

spillane35

EB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:50 AM

1. figure 2.7 of gn3

2.permission from client.

3.isolation and rectification recommended

4.immediately

5.electrical installation certificate,schedule of inspection,schedule of test results.(look at the city and guilds report and it said that EICR was wrong) i stand to be corrected.

6.stuck on this.

7.use a rcd tester, test at the rated current of the rcd (30mA)Set at x1 the rcd  should trip in less than 300mS then test at x5 which equates to a test current of 150 mA the rcd should trip within 40 mS. test at both side of the supply wave form and record the longest result of the the 2 times.Test at a half current test)(15mA) and the rcd should not trip(although this not a requirement of the regulations).

8.Functional test,and this confirms the rcd in working order,

9.That the earth fault loop has been tested and the requirments have been met.

10. Uo/Ze x2 and then divde by 1000 and this should be wrote on the schedule of test results.

11.Inspector.

12.stuck on this.

13. 1.exhibitions.2.mobile units.3.marinas.

Howard this is how my study went. can you check if this is reasonable? And thanks again as what you gave out to revise was great to get you running through gn3 and bs 7671.

Regards rob.

#17 OFFLINE   spillane35 Re: revision papers

spillane35

EB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

1. voltdrop is to be verified that is does not exceed the limits of relevent products and does not impair the proper and safe functioning of installed equipment.

2.(2.1)gn3

3.report,further investigation and then retest.

4.check widdlers earth fault loop impedence illustration in forum its the first one is this correct

5.the test current of earth fault loop testers can cause rcd to trip/get a non earth fault loop tester that saturates the core to less than 15 mA

6.end to end on all condutors,figure of eight on L+N,then figure of eight L+E.

7.the protective conductors are connected to the main earth terminal ,all sentive equipment removed, indicators and lamps removed

8.the inspector.

9. method 2 which is also known as the wonder lead method and its done to prove than its continuous throughout its length 

10.?

12.?

Regards rob,

#18 OFFLINE   RBURNS Re: revision papers

RBURNS

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationCambridge
  • Skill Areas:Domestic, Machinery, Hazardous Area, Inspection & Testing
  • Training:Short Course
  • Scheme Affiliation:Elecsa

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

1. figure 2.7 of gn3

2.permission from client.

3.isolation and rectification recommended

4.immediately

5.electrical installation certificate,schedule of inspection,schedule of test results.(look at the city and guilds report and it said that EICR was wrong) i stand to be corrected. Inspection and test in this case is referring to periodic inspection and testing and not to the inspection and testing for initial verification (though this is not clear)

6.stuck on this. See Hertz' response

7.use a rcd tester, test at the rated current of the rcd (30mA)Set at x1 the rcd  should trip in less than 300mS then test at x5 which equates to a test current of 150 mA the rcd should trip within 40 mS. test at both side of the supply wave form and record the longest result of the the 2 times.Test at a half current test)(15mA) and the rcd should not trip(although this not a requirement of the regulations).

BS7671 only specifies that a 30mA RCD must trip in <300ms at 5 x Idn and that any RCD must be effective at disconnection and that the integral test device (test button) works; however GN3 gives the accepted recommendation for the 1/2xIdn, 1xIdn tests at both half cycles (to the appropriate time for the type of RCD) for all RCDs and reinforces the x5 \dn test for 30mA RCDs and the test button effectiveness.

8.Functional test,and this confirms the rcd in working order,

9.That the earth fault loop has been tested and the requirements have been met.

10. Uo/Ze x2 and then divde by 1000 and this should be wrote on the schedule of test results.

The divide by 1000 will give a value in kA which is normally what you would write down but could be misinterpreted unless you specified that this was giving your PFC in kA..

11.Inspector. 

See Hertz' response

12.stuck on this.

See Hertz' response

13. 1.exhibitions.2.mobile units.3.marinas. Yes

Howard this is how my study went. can you check if this is reasonable? And thanks again as what you gave out to revise was great to get you running through gn3 and bs 7671.

Regards rob.

1. voltdrop is to be verified that is does not exceed the limits of relevant products and does not impair the proper and safe functioning of installed equipment.

The question asked for a definition of volt drop and not what you need to check about it.

2.(2.1)gn3

3.report,further investigation and then retest.

4.check widdlers earth fault loop impedance illustration in forum its the first one is this correct Yes

5.the test current of earth fault loop testers can cause rcd to trip/get a non earth fault loop tester that saturates the core to less than 15 mA

A non trip earth fault loop tester either saturates the core of an RCD with dc to stop its operation or limits the test current to less than 15mA

6.end to end on all conductors,figure of eight on L+N,then figure of eight L+E.

This is all one test (continuity of ring final circuit conductors), follow on with IR and (polarity if not checked in test one) EFLI.

7.the protective conductors are connected to the main earth terminal ,all sensitive equipment removed, indicators and lamps removed

8.the inspector.

9. R2 method method 2 which is also known as the wonder wander lead method and its done to prove than its continuous throughout its length 

10.? trailing cable trip hazard

12.? The circuit breaker would safely interrupt the fault but, depending in the Ics, may not be suitable for continued use.

Regards rob,

Just some comments on the above answers that may be of use.

Well yes, the real world is OK.. But I wouldn't want to have to live there!

#19 OFFLINE   spillane35 Re: revision papers

spillane35

EB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Great stuff RBURNS ill keep this info for future revision. im glad ive joined this forum as its going to save me money as im not ready for 2394/2395 i wont be laying money out to im 100% sure i can pass(hopefully)

Thanks rob.

#20 OFFLINE   sparky_ben Re: revision papers

sparky_ben

EB Respected Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationTyne and Wear

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

I thought the 1x RCD 30mA was to trip in under 200ms not 300 ms as you said